Tuesday, 26 May 2015

Activity 2: Reflecting on Practice

Activity 2:
Reflection on Learning Practice

Leading Learning

I will explore Mindlab concepts that really changed my practice and how I viewed myself as a learner:
Collaboration is the key - I get it now!
Design thinking - is this the way? The untapped potential.



Collaboration is the key - I get it now!


Changes as a learner:

One of the Mindlab concepts explored was the idea of collaboration. I have always been successful learning on my own. To be honest, I felt teamwork was exhausting. We spent more time trying to appease than the task. I felt it was much faster to work on my own. The structure in place required me to be more efficient. I was hesitant with collaboration. I felt that it wasn’t an equal relationship. I gave more to the “collaboration”.  


I think the moment that changed my mind completely was when I was sitting next to a colleague and we were working on our research assignment together. The conversation turned heated and it was a eureka moment for me. I  couldn’t have thought of that, I didn’t see that coming, I get it - everything came together. Collaboration was interdependent. Collaboration was something that could lead to something better/an idea that I didn't think of before.


I could learn from other people and get another perspective to create a new understanding. We were working towards the same goal and less about making each other feel better.  It as more about this:
(@ICTEvangelist, 2015)



Changes to my practice:


Put it simply, it has changed how I view things. No more single cell teaching. My colleague and I naturally used team-teaching approach.This overflowed into our classrooms. Our learners were collaborating more as  we were collaborating more, we were exploring concepts in our practices we couldn’t achieve on our own. We became confident in what we were doing as we questioned each other about our practices.


Design thinking- the untapped potential?


Changes as a learner: 

I was the worst kind of learner  - I didn’t share. I was afraid that people will judge my opinions and thoughts. This is what Carol Dweck will state as a fixed mindset (Dweck, 2006). Why did I have this? I was the product of the school system - tests, marks and competition were valued. I cared about image and not looking dumb.

But you couldn’t avoid sharing in collaboration. Collaboration was great - but not what? How can we create a safe environment for people with fixed mindsets?


We were introduced to design thinking and let’s just say my mind was buzzing with everything that design thinking could offer - empathy, collaboration, innovation, presentation, the NZC, a safety net because of the structure it has, ...the list goes on. Design thinking’s structure offered a safe structure. It was a model that had untapped potential but easy to follow and explore.  Going through the design thinking process,  allowed me to have a voice in a safe environment and to think about other’s learning too.


Changes in my practice:


Learning was not just a self-gain process, but  I realise I was part of this whole group. I didn’t just learn for myself but I felt the need to share. I’m naturally shy. I felt judged by my opinions and what I want to share but this has changed. Design thinking allowed for that safety net of sharing opinions. I felt that the concept of collaboration and design thinking deserved to be shared. It was something I believed in. Every opinion counted, every opinion goes towards a shared goal.

Going through the design thinking made me think of other's learning too. How could we introduce this to the staff? How can we change the system so that design thinking could be the process we go through in all our staff meetings? Sharing wasn't scary - it was a way to get to our goal.

These past weeks has made me feel empowered to lead learning. I saw myself as a learner. But also a learner who can lead change and learning. I was more collaborative and looked forward to working with people. It changed the way I view things and made me question my past  practices/beliefs.

References:

Dweck, C. (2006). Mindset: The New Psychology of Success. New York: Random House Publishing Group. 

@ICTEvangelist. (2015, June 6). #FF @Teachertoolkit @jillberry1012 @Ideas_Factory @MooreLynne1 @Leadinglearner @mrlockyer        @iPadwells @ deepexperience1 .[Twitter Post].                            
                 Retrieved from http://twitter.com

No comments:

Post a Comment