Monday, 29 June 2015

Activity 10: Law and Ethics influence on Professional Context

Activity 10
Ethical Dilemma 


(Jangam, 2013)
Being in the digital class, you are exposed to new dilemmas that didn't exist before. The one that stuck to me most are students/learners being on 13+ sites and the use of their images.

The biggest ethical dilemma you can say is privacy. How do I respect information given out there? And at the same time, learning is changing to where every information is shared. The classroom is open. 

Students/Learners on sites 
We are GAFE school. We use numerous tools for education including blogging and email accounts.
BUT here is where my dilemma is. A number of these tools are 13+ and I KNOW they are 13+. What dangers am I exposing them to if I said go ahead and sign up to those learners/students under 13+?
On the other side, these tools enhance their learning. Sites have disclaimers mentioning the COPA act and parent permission is needed. Do our parents know this? COPA is American law and what role does it play in an NZ context? Is it my right to join these students/learners up or the parents? Who has the right - the professional? the caregiver? What about the student/learner? What are their rights?  I sit here and think when I tell the students/learners to sign up for this tool  is it for me or is it for them? What dangers am I exposing them to?

The use of student/learners' images 
This relates to the above point - who owns the images of the student/learner? Although parents gave us permission to use their child's images how ethical is it to use in on our personal educational blogs, professional twitter account and even our Mindlab assignment? Do the parents know? Do the learners/child know? Even if you can't identify the child in the photo, we are still using it to decorate our blog. It has nothing to do with their learning - it's our learning. Is it our right to use it? 

How do you address this with a colleague? Teachers are now using their cellphones to record school performances and put it on youtube automatically. Are they aware of photo permissions? Are parents aware that it is on youtube? How do you talk to the colleague and ask them are they aware of any cyber safety issues here without hurting their feelings? Even deeper, whose fault is it if there is an issue? The teacher? The ICT leader? The Principal? The BOT?

How have we addressed this (or going to address it)? 
A continuous discourse  between parents, staff and students about being safe online - the communication lines being open and honest. 

Students/Learners: I think the best advice I had was from Netsafe. If we ban them, they will do it anyway and hide it if they get into trouble. I rather they are open with me and talk to me if this does occur. We have addressed this by creating a cyber safety culture - what is appropriate and inappropriate, the difference with personal and professional profile and being open with your parents...etc. 

Parents/Community: Involve the community in the process. We have workshops on cyber safety and consult them on their view of blogging and information shared.  I think this is something we can work on more. They have the right to make INFORMED decisions about it. 


Staff: I think this is where we are lacking. We need to open communication about the dangers online and create together a cybersafety curriculum as a staff. 


I don't know if it's been fully resolved.I think it's an ongoing discussion, especially as technology changes education. I think it is a mistake to think it has been resolved. There will be new technologies that force new ethical dilemmas. I think we need to continuously talk about keeping our students/learners safe and their ability to negotiate the digital world. This is what Hall (2001) describes as the restating problem so that it is about the learner's interest and their community. 

References:

Hall, A. (2001). What ought I to do, all things considered? An approach to the exploration of ethical problems by

teachers. Retrieved from http://www.educationalleaders.govt.nz/Culture/Understanding-school-cultures/What
Ought-I-to-Do-All-Things-Considered-An-Approach-to-the-Exploration-of-Ethical-Problems-by-Teachers

Jangam, P. (2013). Ethics pen. Retrieved from http://www.pdpics.com/photo/2247-ethics-pen/

No comments:

Post a Comment