Wednesday, 10 August 2016

Differentiation in the Classroom

Before we meet our new class, we look at our students and identify target students. We analyse their results and learning gaps. We brainstorm possible learning outcomes and ways to fill these gaps.

We then get to know these students beyond test results. Who are they? Who are their influences? What drives them? How do they learn? What do they think? We get to know the student.

At this stage, the list of target students may increase when we take account behavioural needs. We then create learning experiences that is informed by what we know about them, their results and their prior experiences. As a teacher you work out different teaching approaches and intervention programmes. These programmes then are discussed and collaborated with whanau and student.

We introduce intervention and differentiated programmes to students.

BUT.

The other day I heard a conversation between 2 boys:
"Why do you go to special maths?" " Because I'm not good at it" " I go to language extension, you know"

What underlying message are we telling students with these intervention and differentiated programmes? What kind of image are they forming about themselves? I could see how certain programmes could encourage fixed mindsets (Dweck, 2006). Do students get a message when they get extra help from a teacher aide?

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying we shouldn't differentiate and put interventions in place. What I am advocating for is to challenge our assumptions, analyse our class culture and keep track of how they view their learning experiences/programmes.

I recently got given certain strategies by outside agency -these strategies were designed to reduce student anxiety and anger. Some intervention programmes will require student to be taken out of class and we assume this is okay. The outside agency and I discussed how to introduce it because certain students do not like standing out or being different from their peers.

We have to look at our assumptions as each student is different. We both agreed to use circle time as a way to introduce it to the class. It was a method of differentiation without differentiating. We discuss that some strategies are not appropriate for some students and we will have to negotiate it with the target students.

I think, the key is to KNOW the student properly.I think back to Emerging Leaders Summit this year,  Janelle Riki-Waaka said that we have to "go beyond". She put in a context of her son; as a student in aher son will always step back and see how far a teacher will go. To her, it's not about meeting students halfway -  it about the teacher going beyond halfway to know the students. AND it is not just for target students BUT for ALL students.

When we have intervention programmes, it is important to understand what the student is thinking.
Are they the student that like to be taken out to get extra help or are they student that doesn't want to stand out?


References:
Dweck, C. (2006). Mindset: The New Psychology for Success. New York: Random House
Emerging Leaders Summit 2016. Auckland

No comments:

Post a Comment