Sunday, 30 May 2021

Digital Fluency Intensive: Dealing with Data Week 4

The lines that stood out to me were "human instincts to share" and "connected human beings share". 

I think back to last week and how much I wanted to share what I created digitally. 

We started the session by exploring the Share kaupapa.  Besides, the light bulb moment of "human instincts to share",  the concept of "satisfaction of finishing" increased my understanding of the Manaiakalani kaupapa.  It made me think of whether do I give our tamariki the satisfaction to finish? 

It was also good to hear the why of the blogger route. 

Another thing that stuck to me was the definition of an authentic audience - "an authentic audience has the power to leave and go", e.g. an assembly is not an authentic audience as the audience does not have the power to leave and go. 

After that session, we looked into Google Forms.  Google Forms is our life - we are constantly have to consult and get opinions. I really like forms because it avoids meetings but also you can get someone's honest opinions. Nice tip: Use sections in Google Form so you can get people to skip questions if it doesn't apply to them. 

After Google Forms, we learnt about My Maps.  I learnt a few features on it which was to import information from a Google Sheet - super helpful. I can see why our learners will get into this. 



In the afternoon, we did Google Spreadsheet. I love a good spreadsheet! I learnt a few shortcuts especially the plain text so that 0 won't be dropped off. We also learnt a few tricks conditional formatting. 

The day ended with us analsying blog posts. 

Here's one I did:


There was huge increase of blog posting during December 2019 and 2020. He was a participant of the Summer Learning Journey in 2019 and 2020.  His blog has had 2, 637 views and was viewed from 

The takeaways from this session to share with staff: 

  • Google Class on the air 




2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Maria. Great reflections around sharing, I especially like the idea of 'the satisfaction of finishing.' Class on Air is a great resource for people to use and it would be amazing to have an Ako Hiko teacher take part. It's exciting that your students are almost ready to blog so that we can provide them with that authentic audience that you talk about.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Maria, glad that you found this session helpful. Is Class on Air something that you'd be keen in getting involved with in the future? It would be great to see the awesome mahi that is happening with your kids. Have a great week! Ngā mihi

    ReplyDelete